Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Few Good Men

Hi Everyone!!

Things have been wild and woolly here! Wednesday, after delivering most of our family to their overnight homes, we went to Ann Arbor to spend the night to get ready for our appointment at the U of M first thing Thursday morning. After her appointments were done, we came home Thursday evening and then I left before daylight Friday morning to head to Chicago for the UMDF Symposium (United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation). I got home from Chicago last last night (Saturday), and then we got up bright and early today to go to Clara's horse show. So....I have lots to tell you and pictures to show, but first, there are a few important men in my life I want to honor today.

First....my Daddy...or "Deddy" as he is known to me. I am the only one of his four children that calls him that. The other ones call him 'Dad', but no matter what you call him, I am so thankful he's mine. I tend to have a very hard time writing about him, I think because I love him soooo much. Once in college, as a final exam in my Psychology class, I had to write an essay on someone I greatly admired. I thought that would be my greatest one ever because it was about Deddy. However, I bumbled all the way through it because there was so much there, I just couldn't get it all together. So while this will not be my most eloquent writing, by any stretch of the imagination, I will just tell you that I LOVE MY DEDDY! He has always been there for me at every stage of my life, and while he is not perfect (who is?), and even if he didn't respond the way I thought he should, I never doubted he would be there. When I was thirteen, he and Bev, very sacrificially, saved me from an environment that I knew, even then, I could not thrive in. I know that without that move, I would not be who I am today. He made sure I made it to every single band and chorus concert, school function, awards ceremony, church activity or choir or orchestra practice, etc...and believe me, there were many. He was always the Dad who would show up to drive the van to Savannah for All-State Band and Chorus in his most obnoxious clothing, and unlike many children, I was always proud to have him there. :-) He had a pair of 'Jams" that were SO LOUD....do you remember Jams? And while I do not get to see him as much as I want to, there is never a day that goes by that I don't think of my wonderful Deddy. Happy Father's Day, Deddy!!


 I love this picture. This is Deddy and my silly brothers. The brother on the right, Thomas, is also a wonderful Daddy to a precious little boy.

 Deddy, Clara, and Megan in their 'bubba' teeth. He will do anything....ANYTHING for a laugh!

 Deddy and Bev with half of their grandchildren.

And the other man is, of course, the father of my children....Jeff....my hunka, hunka burnin' love. :-) I could never have asked for a better father for my four precious girls. People often pity him because he lives in a house full of estrogen, but I can tell you, he LOVES it! He used to tell me he wanted five girls (and if you count me or the dog, he has them), and I think God designed him perfectly to father these girls. He is so patient and understanding and is able to find the humor in every situation. I have no doubt that these girls are going to leave our home one day knowing they were loved unconditionally by their adoring father. I think that goes a long way with a little girl. I can also tell you that he points them to the cross and does everything he can possibly do to make sure these girls know their Jesus. I am so blessed to have a husband who is the spiritual leader of our home, and I can tell you, it did not come naturally for him. God has used the last 16 years to grow him into that role (and God has also had to teach his strong-headed wife how to step aside and let him lead). I love you, honey. Happy Father's Day!!

















Happy Father's Day to all the Daddies out there!!

Much Love,
Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment