Sunday, September 4, 2011

He Did It!!

You may remember about six months ago when I told you how I got Jeff and myself involved in a triathlon. That almost sounds as ridiculous to me now as it did then, and while I had too many obstacles to overcome to be ready for this one, my man did it!

People have asked him what started all of this. After all, neither one of us have an athletic bone in either of our bodies, unless you count spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours marching across a football field a sport. For the last year or so, Jeff has been very convicted about taking care of his body. If our bodies are the temple of Christ, then why aren't we taking better care of them? I don't want to put words into his mouth, but that is the gist. It is safe to say that he definitely feels more able to serve Christ fully at this point in his life as a result of his improved physical condition. The result has not been hard on my eyes, either. :-)

Now for the doubters out there (Julie Harkins)...here is the proof!!


 He survived the swim! This is the part he was the most nervous about.


 Still smiling. :-)


 He had some trouble getting that cap off. He said he was already to his bike before he was able to get it off of his head. Hee hee...it suctioned to his bald spot!



 Now off for an 8 mile bike ride! Still smiling!


 And we waited...


 ...and waited. 
This is definitely not the type of thing you want to take your family to that often. It was pretty boring when all the athletes were gone. :-)


 8 miles later...


 ...and transitioning to the run.


 A mile and a half later...


 ...and STILL SMILING!!!


 He's a champ!


 He is officially our hero....he got a medal and everything! You can see that Megan was more impressed with the "accessory" than the accomplishment. :-)


 Proud girls! (Alyssa was at a friend's house.)


This is Jeff with his friend and prayer/accountability partner, Tom Sullivan. God put these two together within weeks of us being here, and they have been meeting for prayer time (almost) every Friday morning since. Tom has been to all three of the races Jeff has done. We love Tom and the rest of his family...precious, precious people!

Jeff accomplished both of his goals. His first goal was to finish in under an hour, which he did. (I think his time was 54 minutes, give or take), and his second goal was to not finish last in his age group. There were four behind him. :-) Considering he has only been training for 6 months, I think that is pretty good!

As for the T-Shirt and the cookout? He got a t-shirt from Dr. Bolton, and the afternoon of the race, we went to his house for a swimming party and some yummy barbecue. However, after watching the whole thing take place, I have decided that there is no t-shirt in the world that is worth all of that to me. I will find a sport that suits me, but triathlons are NOT IT! Dr. Bolton actually did the Olympic triathlon....so needless to say, he was very tired, and I am beyond impressed.

Now....where are my dancing shoes? That's a sport, isn't it?

Have a Blessed Night!
Jeannie

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jeff!!! That is *so* exciting!
    -Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Clara is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. She is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete